Here are some interesting facts about the African continent you probably did not know:
- Witwatersrand, South Africa, produces almost half of all the gold mined in Africa.
- More people speak French in Africa than do those in France.
- A single tribe in Kenya-called the “Kalenjin”-produces most of the world’s fastest long-distance runners.
- Egypt is Africa’s most popular tourist destination. The country receives over 10 million visitors every year. Cairo, Egypt’s capital city, is also Africa’s largest city.
- Women from Africa’s Mursi tribe pierce their lips and wear plates as large are 5 inches in diameter, inside them (lips).
- Mainland Africa is home to two of Spain’s exclaves, Melilla and Ceuta.
- The national flag of Mozambique has the image of an AK-47 assault rifle embedded into it. It is the only national flag in the world featuring such a modern rifle.
- All of Africa’s nations were colonized by the Europeans except two: Ethiopia and Liberia. The former was an Orthodox Christian country, while the latter was established by African-American settlers from the United States, who previously served as slaves.
- Currently, Africa is united under a political organization known as the African Union (AU). The AU was established in 2001. Only one African country, Morocco, is not a member of the AU.
- Soccer and cricket are two of Africa’s most popular sports. They were both introduced during the colonial era.
- There are more than 100 million Facebook users in Africa.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.