The most common language spoken on the continent is Arabic (spoken by 170 million people), followed in popularity by English (130 million), Swahili (100), French (115), Berber (50), Hausa (50), Portuguese (20) and Spanish (10).
- Over 25 percent of all languages are spoken only in Africa with over 2,000 recognized languages spoken on the continent.
- In 2034, Africa is expected to have the world’s largest working-age population of 1.1 billion.
- The continent’s richest country is Equatorial Guinea, with over $33,000 of GDP per capita. This puts the country comparable to Spain.
- The deadliest war since World War II occurred in Africa. The Second Congo War (1998-2003) caused 5.4 million deaths.
- The majority of Africans are adherents of Christianity or Islam.
- Animals like giraffe, zebra, gorilla, hippopotamus, chimpanzee, and wildebeest are unique to the continent.
- Africa is bigger than China, India, the continental U.S., and most of Europe—combined. The Sahara alone is bigger than the continental USA.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.